About Me

Hi There! Thank you for visiting. On social media, I post and tweet mostly on topics related to alumni/development work and productivity. This site is my professional blog, where I write on these topics in greater detail.

I have two goals in writing this blog:

  1. Be of service to my colleagues, coworkers, and my tribe by sharing my take on how to work smart, live well, and serve others in whatever we do in life.
  2. Clarify my own thinking on these themes through writing about them, because…

“Thoughts disentangle themselves passing over
the lips and through pencil tips.”
– Anonymous (via Michael Hyatt)

If you share similar interests, then I invite you to subscribe to this blog via RSS or email. You can also follow me on Twitter and LinkedIn.

A bit about me…

p1150004Myers-Briggs says I’m an INTJ.
DiSC says I’m a CD.
Candy Whirley says I’m a Lion.
The MMPI says… TMI 😉

I am many other things as well. I am a husband, a father to one daughter, a former professor of music history (Ph.D. University of Colorado-Boulder), a lapsed classical guitarist on the road to recovery, and I love to grow vegetables and cook vegetarian. (I make an awesome West African Peanut Stew)

A bit about the work I do…

Presently, I am the Executive Director for Philanthropy and Stewardship at Blackburn College in Carlinville, Illinois. I am chiefly responsible for student philanthropy and for administering the Gideon Blackburn Fund, which is the college’s principal annual giving program, and the cornerstone of its development effort.

About 85% of the institution’s annual operating budget is derived from student revenues. The remaining 15% comes from the Gideon Blackburn Fund, which plays a critical role in supporting campus operations and ensuring that low-income students have affordable access to a high quality liberal arts education, which brings me to…

A bit about where I work…

college-photo_7802Blackburn College was founded in 1837 and is one of only eight federally-recognized work program colleges in the United States. As such, all resident students (about 585) hold campus jobs and work for the college for 160 hours per semester, an average of about ten hours per week. In exchange, they receive a significant tuition discount. Blackburn is far and away the most affordable, private four-year liberal arts college in the state of Illinois. As such, part of our mission is to reach out to historically underserved populations. Over 97% of our students receive some form of financial assistance, and many are the first in their families to go to college. You can learn more about Blackburn and its mission at blackburn.edu.

Stick around…

If you would like to know more, stop by the Home page, or send me a message via my Contact page.

Thank you for visiting!